Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Platelet Count is DOWN

Kate's platelet count dropped to 17,000 so she was given the highest dose of IVIG they could give her today and we'll see how this works. The doctors told us that IVIG's are most effective 2-3 days after they are given, so they are hoping that her count stays the same or goes up over the next few days and then we should see a greater jump in her count. The IVIG simply binds to the antibodies that are destroying her platelets, but her body needs to continue to make new platelets, which is slower in a newborn. We appreciate your love and support and all your prayers :0)

6 comments:

The Mursets said...

Hang in there you guys! Is this because of the Group B strep,or did something else cause it?

Avery said...

wow..no clue any of this was happening til i checked your blog today..
I'm wondering the same thing..is her platelet count because of the group b strep or does it have something to do with your platelet issues?
I'm so annoyed cuz here at the hospital I can't get pictures for some reason so I havn't even seen little Kate yet!! I'm dying to see her. As soon as I get home I'll check out all the pictures. I'm glad you're still looking at discharge for sunday..being at the hospital is NO fun and watching her be poked is really hard.. I understand completley! I hate the head IV's too.. hopefully it'll come out soon and you'll be on your way home. I'll keep checking now more frequently to see whats going on. I called earlier, but you're obviously really busy, so don't worry about calling until you have a very free minute. We're praying for you and for all to go well. Wish you guys were closer.. Love ya.
Ave

Aut said...

Thank you so much for keeping us so up to date on Kate. We will continue to pray for a speedy recovery and that the docs will be inspired as to how to treat her. Love you!

Marianne said...

Dana I hope little Kate gets her platlets in order and I hope that you and Ryan are doing good also. She is so cute and we are thinking of you guys!

luke & misty meldrum family said...

Just want you to know you are in our thoughts and prayers!! We love you guys! Mist

Jen and Mark said...

Oh man! We hope the new treatment helps with Kate's platelet count. We will be praying for Kate and your cute fam. After reading your blog the last few days I decided it would be best to wait till you are home and life isn't so crazy to come and see you all.
Love ya, Jenny