Thursday, April 17, 2008

Moving on UP!!

We were so excited this morning when we found out that Kate's platelet count is up to 31,000!!!!! We hope her count continues to climb.

They had to put Kate on oxygen this morning because she wasn't able to keep her oxygen levels up, so we hope that this is just a temporary thing.

Many of you have asked why Kate has a platelet problem and it came from her mom. I have ITP, a blood disorder where antibodies are attacking and destroying my platelets. While I was pregnant with Kate, I passed these antibodies to her and they are now attacking her platelets. She will not have the same blood disorder that I have because her body is not making these same antibodies, but her body has to fight and kill the antibodies that are already in her body and are destroying her platelets right now. Also, the production of platelets in newborns doesn't really start to pick up until after they are a few days old. Her group B strep is not connected to her platelet problem, but because her tiny body is trying to fight off this infection, it could be affecting her platelet count as well. I hope this helps clarify what is going on.

7 comments:

The Carlson Crew said...

Dana, those pictures of your sweet little girl made me CRY!! It is so hard to see such little babies with all the tubes and needles and wires. Yuck. Kate has got to be wondering what is happening, but what a patient little fighter. We love you guys! Please let us know if there is anything you need! We can't wait to meet her. McKay will look HUGE next to her. :) Love, the Carlsons

Katie said...

Thank you for the updates! What great news that her count is UP!! You are in our thoughts and prayers!

Scott & Tami said...

We are so excited Kate is doing better!!! We wanted to come see you guys last night, but the snow put a damper on that. Maybe Friday or Saturday....is any one of those days better than the other? How are you feeling Dana? Can't wait to see you again!! Love you guys!!!

Emily said...

I am so glad the count is coming up. Thanks for all the updates. She is strong and I'm sure she will be home by the weekend.

Marianne said...

Thanks I needed that! I am glad KATE is doing better and her numbers are up!!! YEA

Avery said...

Thanks for the clarification..that makes it seem less serious.. I though she'd struggle with ITP too. I'm soo glad her count is up and you guys will get her home. I just got your message but its too late to call. We are hopefully getting discharged tomorrow so it might be a crazy day. I'll try and call you though.. Hope you're hanging in there. I'm praying for you guys. Have you been able to nurse her?

Maegan said...

Dana,
I am so glad that her platelets are increasing. Did Jordan have this same problem after birth?